I want a vespa

Images from here, here, here, here, here & here
Amongst my friends, I'm probably the only one without a driver's license. Therefore I have been receiving strong opinions about this. So much so there seems to be a campaign going on at the moment for me get my license, which consists of many many emails listing the pros of getting one.

But I don't see the need to have one here in Sydney to get around. I live near the train station and the bus stop is practically in front of my door step. Sure, it takes me a while to get to work every morning and driving will most certainly cut the travel time in half but it's costly to maintain a car and petrol isn't exactly cheap. So it isn't that appealing to me.

Then it hit me - what about getting a scooter license? I've always wanted to own a Vespa ever since Italy. Plus it's small, pretty and cute. Upkeep will be cheaper and fuel consumption will definitely be much less than a car. I guess the downside is the weather - I won't be able to ride it when it's raining or during any crap weather Sydney decides to have.

I think it might be a better alternative. Though friends and family are against it. They are convinced it's dangerous and inconvenient. Hmm... what do you think?

6 comments:

helen said...

LOVE vespas. i especially love them because of the movie Roman Holiday!

Unknown said...

Vespas are cool but it's really not practical to get around in Syd on a motorbike. I think it's too dangerous for you. Drive a car :P When i got back here, I was thinking of getting a Vespa but they don't have what i'm looking for in a scooter, which include a huge trunk and a petrol tank at the front :D

Travel Gourmande said...

I love the sense of freedom riding on a motorbike/scooter brings. I don't drive one but I'm always a happy back passenger. :)

Stephanie said...

Hahaha, I also do not have a driver's license! And goodness, I would totally get a license to drive a Vespa.

Unknown said...

I think parking would be much easier, but would you have to worry about a Vespa getting stolen easily? I think that would be a concern of mine in NYC haha. If it makes you feel any better, I got my driver's license almost 6 years ago and I've driven twice in the past 4 years! Taking public transportation is heaps more convenient in the city.

trishie said...

I wanted a Vespa for ages too, they look so nice and cool. But never got around to it, I'm so used to driving around in my car.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...